Monday, January 23, 2006

Lonely out there


I met someone yesterday, Mrs. Farris, who is heading off to Antarctica to be as alone as she believes is possible on this planet. She'll be there for two weeks, thousands of miles from anyone. I thought it odd that she was sitting with her husband, and I knew she wouldn't get even remotely as close to loneliness as she could find in the nearest Starbucks across the street.
So, with no one knowing yet about this blog, my words are out there like Mrs. Farris, and like the woman with her laptop and yearning eyes in Starbucks. Millions of miles of darkness all around, until someone finds the site..... a distant call from across Mrs. Farris' snowscape.

I just heard Exile on Main Street with fresh ears. What an amazing 18 songs, none dud. And, in a mood to source influences, I listened to Gun Club. White Stripes have a lot to thank them for.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

My friend Stan went to Antartica to research a book. The women at the US base are vastly outnumbered by the men. The women told Stan that when a new, female arrival asks how Antartica is for finding a man, she's told that "The odds are good, but the goods are odd."

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home