Sunday, February 05, 2006

Palindromes

I've wanted to write a story for a while that has a palindromic structure, whereby the story turns at the middle, with an event that gives a new meaning to the story as it plays out again in reverse (not in time but in events). Palindromes are seductive (my office, home and fax numbers are palindromes), but there are some obsessive accomplishments out there. The trouble is that most long ones (58,000 words is the longest) have less and less grammar and meaning. Numerically, they provide interesting rhythms. I once listed all the palindromic numbers between 1 and a million and drew the linear pattern derived from the gaps between the numbers (as in 88, 99, 101, 111, 121.....) Then I used that to create the proportions for colliding volumes in a building. It was never built, but masqueraded as a restaurant in Japan for a while. I still have the model.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home